top of page

Divorce and Family Law Lawyer Serving Windsor, Tecumseh and Surrounding Areas

Upon the breakdown of a relationship or marriage, it is imperative that you get advice in a timely manner.  Our firm strives to provide you with sound advice that can assist you in resolving your matter by way of agreement.  Negotiating a resolution may require protecting your interests in court.  You can trust our experienced lawyer to resolve all aspects of a divorce – simple or complex, including claims for custody, access, child support, spousal support and property division.

Our Primary Areas of Practice in Family Law

Our firm can represent clients in all aspects of family law, including:

  • Divorce, contested and uncontested

  • Separation agreements 

  • Marriage contracts, prenuptial agreements and cohabitation agreements

  • Custody and access 

  • Child support 

  • Spousal support

  • Property division

  • Pension division 

  • Rights and obligations of non-married couples

  • Legal Opinion letter concerning the validity of a foreign divorce to allow you to marry in Ontario

Documents Required for Family Law Consultation


Documents that family law clients need to provide at their initial appointment include:

1. Government-issued identification:  Valid driver's licence, passport, etc.

2. Unifor coverage:  To obtain certificate of coverage, call 519-944-5222 and ask for ‘’Intake’’.  Bring certificate to the appointment.

3. If you do not have coverage for legal services, you can consult with us regarding our hourly rate and providing a retainer.

4. Tax returns and Notices of Assessments for last three (3) years, for each party.

If tax disclosure cannot be obtained, at the very least, tax return and/or notice of assessment for the previous tax year and T4 information for the previous year, for each party.

Call Revenue Canada 1-800-959-8281 to obtain tax summaries for the last three (3) years (provided generally within 14 days by mail).

5. Year-to-date pay stubs, for each party.

6. Original marriage certificate:  If you do not have the original marriage certificate, you may obtain the marriage certificate online through

7. Any court order(s), Divorce Order and Separation Agreement from previous marriage/cohabitation/relationship.

8. List of children's names, dates of birth, their current grade and school. Please advise of any learning or physical disabilities.

9. Relevant documentation is required as at the date of separation.*

*Note: The parties must agree on the date of separation.  This is the date on which the parties have discussed separating, and it is often marked by an event (i.e. argument/party going to the lawyer to discuss options regarding separation or divorce/discussion about separation and advising family and children).  The date of separation is the date on which the parties freeze the value of their assets and debts for the purpose of equalization (property division).

 (a) Closing documents regarding the purchase of your matrimonial home including the Transfer/Deed and Charge/Mortgage.
(b) Mortgage statement confirming the balance of the mortgage on the date of separation.
(c) MPAC assessment.
(d) Closing documents (i.e. Deed and Mortgage) regarding any other property (i.e. vacant lot, cottage)
(e) Year and make of each vehicle(s), including a copy of the ownership, for each party.
(f) Bank accounts as at the date of separation, including chequing, savings, joint and sole accounts, with account numbers and balances as at the date of separation, for each party.
(g) Investments including RRSPs, RSPs, GICs, Savings Bonds, as at the date of separation, with account numbers and balances as at the date of separation, for each party.
(h) Pension statement from previous tax year for any private pension, for each party.
(i) Life insurance particulars, including company, policy number, type of policy (term or whole life), owner, beneficiary, the face amount of the policy and cash surrender value, if any, as at the date of separation, for each party.
(j) Any business interest held by each party.
(k) Any money owed to either party.
(l) Any other property not mentioned.

(m) Debts as at the date of separation, including mortgage, line of credit, credit cards, and money owed to Revenue Canada, including account numbers and balances as at date of separation, for each party.
(n) Property and debts as at the date of marriage, including documentation confirming account balances and account numbers as at the date of marriage (i.e. land, vehicles, bank accounts, investments, pension and debts), for each party.
(o) Did either party receive any money during the marriage which could be considered as "excluded property" including gifts or inheritance from a third party?
(p) Income from property expressly excluded, settlement money from personal injury lawsuits, life insurance proceeds and excluded property by spousal agreement.  The proceeds must also exist as at the date of separation.

bottom of page